Free License Exams
The more things change the more they stay the same. Hamvention may have a new venue, but it continues to be the place to get your first license or upgrade to a new license class.
Free license exams will be given across the street from Hamvention at Memorial United Presbyterian Church, 343 West Ankeney Mill Rd.
Testing for all license classes will be available on Friday, May 19 and on Saturday, May 20. Hours for testing both days will be 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. There will be no testing on Sunday.
Free shuttle vans are provided from the Hamvention site to the testing location and back. Shuttles will pick up and drop off at the main Hamvention gate.
Exams will be given on a first-come, first-served basis. There is no pre-registration.
Large print exams will be available at all test sessions as will assistance for those who may have special needs. All are encouraged to come and take a test since there is no fee for these exams.
Each applicant must have the following:
1) An FCC Registration number (FRN). An FRN may be obtained by visiting the FCC at https://apps.fcc.gov/coresWeb/publicHome.do
From this page click on the REGISTER button and follow the instructions to apply for a FRN. You can also use this page to check and see if you already have a FRN. Be sure to copy down the FRN number you are issued and bring it with you to the testing location.
2) Their current license (original copy, Reference Copy or Official Copy, if applicable)
3) The original and a copy of any CSCE or other paperwork which will be submitted for credit.
- a government-issued photo ID (e.g. driver’s license, passport, CAC),
- a non-government issued photo ID (e.g. student ID),
- a non-photo ID (e. g. birth certificate).
Applicants may wish to bring a basic calculator for use during the exam as we have a limited number of basic calculators to loan.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org